Friday, June 4, 2010

Farmers Market season has started!


After months of anticipation, the Lake City Farmers Market opened yesterday to excited crowds and an even more rare occurrence these days - no rain! I couldn't wait to get out of my Pioneer Square office and on the bus home so I could check out what opening day farmers had to offer.

Despite the winter-like weather we've been having, the start of the Farmers Market season signals that, indeed, summer really is here. I had to buy a couple beautiful heirloom tomatoes from Kittitas Valley Tomatoes since my own plants have yet to even send out a single flower and I couldn't pass up the Alm Hills pea vines.

Next week I definitely plan on sampling one of the newest additions to the market this year- Pan Africa. The deliciously intoxicating smell of African food followed me from from stand to stand and haunted me as I went home to a much more boring dinner. I will not pass that up again!

To get your farm fix, the Lake City market runs every Thursday from 3-7pm from now through October 7th. It's located next to the Library at NE 125th and 28th Ave NE. There is a free underground parking garage right next to the market on 28th Ave NE, and plenty of street parking on the surrounding streets.

If Thursday isn't a good day for you, try the Meadowbrook Farmers Market. Starting this Sunday, June 6th, and running until October 31st from 11am-3pm at the Seattle Waldorf School (2728 NE 100th St).

0 comments: